If you have visited here before, you can probably see that I have changed the name of the blog again. I started blogging at 4URuthie to tell the story of our journey to adopt our 1st daughter. I changed it to Mountains for Maggie when we were praying for God to move mountains on behalf of our 2nd daughter. Well now it is no longer just Ruthie’s or Maggie’s stories. It is now our family's story, and the stories of those we share life with, as we Conquer Mountains together. Both ConqueringMountains.net and 4URuthie.blogspot will lead here.

About Me

My photo
I am a pastor's wife, mother of 4 kids (2 adopted and 3 with special needs), physical therapist, and photography junky. This is where it all comes together for me. Feel free to join along as I process life out loud.

Saturday, June 22, 2013

Dying To Self


I think there are some misconceptions about adoption and foster care that don’t fit my reality.  I can’t speak for other families but I can certainly speak for ours.  We don’t adopt because we have no other choice for growing our family.  We don’t adopt because it is easy.  We don’t adopt because my husband is a pastor and that is what pastors do.  We don’t foster because we need the money and foster care is a way for me to afford to stay home.  Nope I still work my same 2 jobs.  

We adopt and foster because God first adopted us when he brought us into his family.  
Romans 8:14-16 For all who are led by the Spirit of God are children of God. So you have not received a spirit that makes you fearful slaves. Instead, you received God's Spirit when he adopted you as his own children. Now we call him, "Abba, Father."For his Spirit joins with our spirit to affirm that we are God's children.

You see, Christ didn’t adopt me because he needed more children.  He didn’t adopt me because he had no other option.  He didn’t adopt me because He needed me to do something for Him in return.  Christ laid down His life that I might live.

I was thinking on that last line the other day and it really hit me.  Adopting me was not easy.  Christ had to die for it.  So why do I get nervous about the difficulties that go along with adoption and foster care that occur here? Why should it be easy for me?  Adoption is not easy! It involves dying to yourself for a greater purpose: for life.  

So as we walk through the struggle that comes with having a 4th child in our home, acclimating a child to our family who has had a very different upbringing for the last 3 years, and showing patience and comfort to a child who has had to endure things that are unimaginable to the rest of us, I will remember that the challenges we face are small compared to the God who laid down his life for me.  I will die to self knowing that the greater reward at the end of the tunnel is LIFE. 



Now onto another quick note. My family spent the last week at Pine Cove family camp (which is hardly dying to self).  I have tons of pictures, but here are just a few to get us started. 




No comments:

Featured Post

When All You Have is a Slingshot and a Pocket Full of Rocks

  I was driving to work last week while talking to a good friend about some tough news we had received.   I told her that I felt like I was ...

Popular Posts