If you have visited here before, you can probably see that I have changed the name of the blog again. I started blogging at 4URuthie to tell the story of our journey to adopt our 1st daughter. I changed it to Mountains for Maggie when we were praying for God to move mountains on behalf of our 2nd daughter. Well now it is no longer just Ruthie’s or Maggie’s stories. It is now our family's story, and the stories of those we share life with, as we Conquer Mountains together. Both ConqueringMountains.net and 4URuthie.blogspot will lead here.

About Me

My photo
I am a pastor's wife, mother of 4 kids (2 adopted and 3 with special needs), physical therapist, and photography junky. This is where it all comes together for me. Feel free to join along as I process life out loud.

Friday, July 4, 2014

It's Been A Night

(this was taken by the mom who has a baby in the bed next to us.  It pretty much sums up our day)

It's been a night.  I think I jinxed myself about 6:00 when I told my friend that it had been pretty boring around here.  She came to visit and it quickly became a very different story.  Around 7:00 (I think) Maggie became inconsolable.  She was thrashing and pulling things off her body.  It was clear that something was not right.  They took her to CT and discovered that her swelling had increased significantly on her brain.  We were thankful though that it was not a new bleed.  The doctor was a amazing and walked down there with us and stood beside her for the CT then read it right there.  We really are getting amazing care.

He explained that she probably has a horrendous headache but he cannot treat it because that would take away her ability to tell us what was going on in her head.  The other measures used to determine brain activity are more dangerous.  I get it.  I really do.  However, there is something awful about denying your child treatment for her pain.  I know that it is for her greater good to help bring healing but I can't possibly explain that to her thrashing body.  I have to wonder if that is exactly what God is doing with us right now.  I don't want to walk this road and I would love for a quick fix but for whatever reason He sees the bigger picture and has determined that we are right where we are supposed to be for the best outcome.  I can say that.  I am still trying to trust it.

They are treating her with a hypertonic IV and diuretics to try and pull the fluid off of her brain.  This is clearly less invasive than drilling a hole in her head.  She has been sleeping better than expected since the incident but that also concerns me.  It is either God's hand on her letting her rest or something much less desirable.  I think we will know more tomorrow.

A Few Observations From My Day:
1.  Catastrophe reconnects you with people you didn't anticipate ever hearing from again.  I  have received messages from old high school friends, former patients, and even relatives I had lost touch with.  Knowing they care enough to contact me has been really encouraging.  I told my nurse that Jesus just might walk into this room to check on things Himself because there were so many people crying out to Him on Maggie's behalf.

2.  It is good to be known.  I sweet friend dropped by today and brought me a donut with sprinkles.  She knows me and it was her sweet gesture that made that moment in time easier.  Now don't everyone bring me donuts today! I am actually not hungry at all and that may be the only good thing that comes out of this experience.  A dozen comfort donuts a day would not be good here.  One was sufficient.  It was good to be known.  That is all I am saying here.

3.  Encouragement comes from the most unexpected places.  We have had visits or phone calls from some unlikely acquaintances who have actually had the best advice.  No doubt they were little blessings from the Lord to carry us one more lap.  A photography client of mine stopped by tonight with 2 friends and told Trent they were headed to the chapel to pray for Maggie's healing.  This was the first story he told me when we traded off at 3 am.  It ministered to him and he needed that after our evening.

A friend reminded me this evening of the importance of positivity.  He is right and I had forgotten that.  I am going to try and spend today not just responding to Maggie but intentionally speaking affirmation and positivity over her.  I think it would be good for all of us.

I am not sure what today holds but I am hopeful it is the turn around we have prayed for.  Her swelling does appear to be going down in her face and extremities with the treatment they have done just since midnight so I have to trust that it is going down in her brain as well.  Thank you for your prayers, your encouraging words, and a random donut.

I am praying to see this personality again someday.  I am not ready for it to be just a memory.





21 comments:

Cara said...

Praying for Maggie, you and your family daily. Praying for recovery. Love all of y'all.

Unknown said...

Ginny, I am praying for a day full of progress and miracles! Claim it in the name of our Father...perfect healing.

Carliss said...

Praying in Waco, friends.

Susan McConnell said...

Definitely praying for a miracle! And praying for you and Trent to feel the Lord's peace in the midst of the storm.

Lori Callaway said...

Hang in there girl! God is all over this! You and Trent are amazing parents and an amazing example to all of us. Praying for your sweet Maggie and your family as well. Bri and I have been following your blog constantly at work and checking for updates hourly. Our whole clinic, including patients, know about Maggie and have been asking about her and praying for her even though they don't know her. God is good!

Suzanne said...

We have been praying for all of you and especially for Maggie to be healed. Please let us know if there is anything you need. We are here for you.

The Bruffey Family said...

Praying in Lubbock, TX for healing of your beautiful daughter and strength for your family on this journey.

Unknown said...

Even though we have never met, know that you are in my thoughts and prayers. I know that God has chosen you for this very special mission. Remember that you are a blessing to others.

Mandy said...

We do not "know" each other, a mutual friend shared your need for prayer and my heart is moved. Please know that many you don't even know are crying tears for you and praying on your behalf. May heaven move

Harrison 9 said...

Praying for each of you! Comfort and healing for your darling Maggie. Peace and strength for her family. Sonshine Acres in Santa Fe, TX.

Unknown said...

Prayers from Alvin for this precious little life.I pray that God's love and light pour into her and heal her from head to toe!That she will be strengthened by His word and the love of family and friends!Amen!

Anonymous said...

Continuing to pray and give thanks to our gracious Heavenly Father for healing and for giving wisdom to the Dr.'s and staff. God bless you and your family.

Anonymous said...

Although I do not know you, a friend passed your story along. Lifting you all up in prayer. Funny ways God works. I'm certain you'd like to "be in on the plan"... but hang in there. BE there for that baby AND for your husband. .. but don't forget to BE there for YOURSELF. You can only remain strong by allowing YOURSELF to forgive ( sounds crazy..... but I'm a Mom of 3 and regardless of the circumstances. .Mom's ALWAYS 2nd and 3rd ... and even more. ..2nd guess ourselves....What if..............
Hold on to the strength which God is wrapping you in.
Prayers to you and your family.

Unknown said...

Praying for you all today Trent. And for a miraculous and quick healing from the Lord today.

Naomi said...

I had no idea that you have been going through all of this Ginny! I am so sorry and especially for precious little Maggie. I am going to be praying along with the countless others who are standing in the gap on your behalf! This was so encouraging to me this morning when I read it. Be encouraged also and know how much Jesus loves you and Maggie, oh yes, Jesus loves you both!

"Therefore will the Lord WAIT, that He may be gracious unto you" (Isa. 30:18). He is watching in the hard places and will not allow one trial too many; He will let the dross be consumed, and then He will come gloriously to your help.

Do not grieve Him by doubting His love. Nay, lift up your head, and begin to praise Him even now for the deliverance which is on the way to you, and you will be abundantly rewarded for the delay which has tried your faith.

O Thou of little faith,
God hath not failed thee yet!
When all looks dark and gloomy,
Thou dost so soon forget--
Forget that He has led thee,
And gently cleared thy way;
On clouds has poured His sunshine,
And turned thy night to day.
And if He's helped thee hitherto,
He will not fail thee now;
How it must wound His loving heart
To see thy anxious brow!
Oh! doubt not any longer,
To Him commit thy way,
Whom in the past thou trusted,
And is "just the same today."
--Selected

Anonymous said...

Praying for Maggie. My heart goes out to all of you.

Angela Smith said...

Father, I pray for this precious family, and thank You for being their refuge and strength, a very present help in their trouble. I ask that Your peace, which passes all understanding, flow over them and sustain them. Lord, You are our Creator and Healer. You love this child more than anyone on earth could possibly understand. I ask that You will touch little Maggie and reverse all the swelling in her brain; that You will stop all bleeding and prevent any new bleeding; that You will take away the pain, and completely restore all function to her limbs; and that You will return her to her family with the same unique personality they have come to know and love. I ask these things in Jesus' name, Amen.

Prayers being sent from the Middle East

beckyww said...

I am a friend of the Graves with a daughter adopted from Russia who is praying for Maggie.

Unknown said...

Now to HIM who is able to do exceedingly AND ABUNDANTLY MORE BEYOND all we can ask or imagine, according to His power that is at work within us, to Him be the glory in Christ Jesus throughout all generations. Eph. 3:20

You are all heavy on my mind & heart. Many prayers your way. You are an incredibly strong lady. You were chosen to be her Mom.

Anonymous said...

Praying for you from Waco Texas. I empathize with the feelings and experiences of ICU, watching a loved one suffer (for me it was my husband 2 years ago) and I pray for the peace of the Lord no matter what. Hold to His hand, trust His presence, go to Him with all things.

Vicki Mills Freeman said...

Praying for complete perfect healing for that perfect baby girl that The Lord loves so much. I've added her to prayer chains and He hears our cries for healing. Thank you Lord in advance for healing precious Maggie...in Jesus Name, Amen.....

Featured Post

When All You Have is a Slingshot and a Pocket Full of Rocks

  I was driving to work last week while talking to a good friend about some tough news we had received.   I told her that I felt like I was ...

Popular Posts