If you have visited here before, you can probably see that I have changed the name of the blog again. I started blogging at 4URuthie to tell the story of our journey to adopt our 1st daughter. I changed it to Mountains for Maggie when we were praying for God to move mountains on behalf of our 2nd daughter. Well now it is no longer just Ruthie’s or Maggie’s stories. It is now our family's story, and the stories of those we share life with, as we Conquer Mountains together. Both ConqueringMountains.net and 4URuthie.blogspot will lead here.

About Me

My photo
I am a pastor's wife, mother of 4 kids (2 adopted and 3 with special needs), physical therapist, and photography junky. This is where it all comes together for me. Feel free to join along as I process life out loud.

Sunday, July 27, 2014

Learning to Conquer

I have been thinking lately that my experience lately with God as Father has felt a lot like how I parent my tween. As a special needs kiddo walking through that stage of life where everyone wants to be cool and sometimes they achieve that by picking on those who are different, Jack has had some tough days.  My first response is always to comfort him.

2 Cor 1:3 Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort. 


I will hug him and tell him how sorry I am that he is having those experiences and I give him a place to be real honest with me. Like my conversations with Jack, I have had some opportunities to be real honest with God these last few weeks too.  Having a safe place to say what I am thinking and how I feel about what has happened with Maggie has been key to my continuing to seek God authentically through this experience.

My next feelings with Jack are usually to want to rescue him from what he is experiencing.  I have thoughts of withdrawing him from school or other scenarios where life is hard, but then my lenses of eternity set in and I realize that rescuing Jack is not necessarily what is best for him. There is a greater goal and purpose for his life and sometimes I have to let him walk out his trials in order to develop the character he needs to achieve his purpose.

James 1:2-4 2 Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.


Like my parenting of Jack, I don't think God has rescued us from this situation because He desires to do something in and through us.   I believe He is building a testimony for Maggie and that even as a 2 year old, He is using her to draw others to Himself.  He is also turning her into a fighter and He is going to use that to make her into the person she needs to be in order to tackle whatever comes next. 

My message to Jack always ends as one of empowerment.  I know he has what it takes to conquer what life sends his way and through Christ he can do anything.  The same is true for Maggie, the same is true for me, and the same is true for you.

Phil 4:13 I can do all this through him who gives me strength.





I LOVE Mandisa's music because it makes me feel like I can face whatever comes my way.  This has been one of the anthems of hers that I have listened to when I have felt defeated through this.  We were created for a purpose and life's trials aren't always set backs but steps toward developing us into the people we need to be to live the life we were called to live.   





PRAYERS-  My little warrior has had 4 great days.  She has continued to improve without set backs.  On Monday they are going to transfer us to the rehab floor for 4 planned weeks of intense recovery.   It would be awesome if she could break records and wrap that experience up in 3 weeks so we could have a few days before the big kids go back to school.  

Here is a picture of her playing with a good friend of mine.  Thank you again for all of your prayers. 


No comments:

Featured Post

When All You Have is a Slingshot and a Pocket Full of Rocks

  I was driving to work last week while talking to a good friend about some tough news we had received.   I told her that I felt like I was ...

Popular Posts