If you have visited here before, you can probably see that I have changed the name of the blog again. I started blogging at 4URuthie to tell the story of our journey to adopt our 1st daughter. I changed it to Mountains for Maggie when we were praying for God to move mountains on behalf of our 2nd daughter. Well now it is no longer just Ruthie’s or Maggie’s stories. It is now our family's story, and the stories of those we share life with, as we Conquer Mountains together. Both ConqueringMountains.net and 4URuthie.blogspot will lead here.

About Me

My photo
I am a pastor's wife, mother of 4 kids (2 adopted and 3 with special needs), physical therapist, and photography junky. This is where it all comes together for me. Feel free to join along as I process life out loud.

Saturday, November 23, 2013

Mountains for Maggie: Part 1 The Call


From the time we adopted Ruthie, I found myself continually following the stories of families who adopted children with severe heart defects.  I admired their willingness to say yes to something that absolutely terrified me.  As I followed these stories, I saw God move in their families in incredible ways.  My friend, Rebecca, and I would have long conversations about these children as we prayed and kept each other up to date on their progress.  Not to mention we would order every necklace, bracelet, and t-shirt that was sold to help bring them home.  But that was not enough.  Little did I know that God was planting the seeds of a future calling on my heart.

Something else struck me about these kiddos.  They were hard to place.  Most families are understandably hesitant to take in a child who might not survive and I totally get that.  But it stirred my heart even more to pray about being someone who would say yes to the unknown.

So fast forward a year or so and I finally felt like I had my junk together enough to add another person to our crew.  I will be honest though-  The wounds on my heart from the wait for Ruthie were still tender.  Trent would suggest international adoption and I would look at him like he had lost his ever loving mind.  I told him I was sure someone was going to walk into his office or call us and ask us to take their child now and here so I didn't have to go through that again.  But what about the heart baby?  Why could I not get that off my mind?

I decided foster care was the way to go and frankly had less expense and less risk.  Just keeping it real here folks.  Don't hate me.   At our home study, I even asked the social worker if they ever get children with heart defects and she looked at me like I was nuts.  The Lord didn't give us a child with a heart defect but he did place one in our home that I am still confident we were supposed to have for that time.  It was just part of the journey to the next step.

So here we are moving forward on the adoption of a baby with a severe heart defect.  I will save meeting Maggie for another post.

The lesson here-  The Lord is patient and He knows us so well.  He knows our wounds.  He knows our fears. He knows our passions and He knows it just might take 3 years to get us to where He wants us to be.

More to come...


No comments:

Featured Post

When All You Have is a Slingshot and a Pocket Full of Rocks

  I was driving to work last week while talking to a good friend about some tough news we had received.   I told her that I felt like I was ...

Popular Posts