If you have visited here before, you can probably see that I have changed the name of the blog again. I started blogging at 4URuthie to tell the story of our journey to adopt our 1st daughter. I changed it to Mountains for Maggie when we were praying for God to move mountains on behalf of our 2nd daughter. Well now it is no longer just Ruthie’s or Maggie’s stories. It is now our family's story, and the stories of those we share life with, as we Conquer Mountains together. Both ConqueringMountains.net and 4URuthie.blogspot will lead here.

About Me

My photo
I am a pastor's wife, mother of 4 kids (2 adopted and 3 with special needs), physical therapist, and photography junky. This is where it all comes together for me. Feel free to join along as I process life out loud.

Sunday, October 1, 2017

Harvey in Phases


I am a categorizer.  It is just how my brain is wired.  I see things in rows, stages, and pictures.  Harvey has been no different.  Like other struggles before, I have seen it as a mountain and the recovery process feels like it fits comfortably into 3 phases.    I would love to share those phases and some cheesy illustrations with you so you can see where we have been and where we are headed as a church and as a community.  
I also secretly hope that you see yourself somewhere in there too. :)



The Foot of the Mountain

The foot of the mountain is your oh crap, honey white-out the calendar our plans just changed, what are we going to do, Jesus take the wheel moment.   I say in my book (not out yet) that most of our mountains are not chosen but are given to us instead.  This was certainly true with Harvey.   No one could have possibly anticipated the challenge that was about to be handed to these individuals and this community.   It took us a few days, standing at the foot of the mountain, to recover from our shock and start making our plan for scaling it.   I am especially proud of our church for how quickly they sprang into action with a solid, organized response.  That led us to Phase 1.








Phase 1- Climbing Mt. Harvey

Add caption
The theme of Phase 1 was to meet people’s immediate needs in the most efficient way possible.  To do that, we had to recruit the help of churches, non-profits, and individuals from all over the country.  We were amazed at the compassionate response that we received as we mucked out homes and provided people with essentials like food, clothing, and toilet paper. 

If you can bear with my illustration for a moment, phase 1 is like climbing a mountain for several reasons.  It is best to consult those who have climbed it before as a preparation for what terrain lies ahead.  We did just that as we formed a list of advisors, who included pastors from Louisiana and organizations who had experience with flooding.  We also made a solid plan, packed the necessary tools, and positioned ourselves to be flexible to respond to unexpected challenges on the journey.    






At the Top of the Mountain- Where We Are Now

Last week, we completed the clean out of the last home on our list.  This weekend we have a team down handing out Bibles as we take a moment to rest and regroup.  We are truly sitting at the top of Mt. Harvey, catching our breath, reflecting on the journey so far, and preparing for Phase 2.  












Phase 2- Descending Mt. Harvey

What we realize from the top of the mountain is that descending Mt Harvey will require as much help as ascending it.  Our church cannot insulate and sheetrock 91 houses (our current list) without some serious out of town support.  Just as people donated clothes and toiletries in phase 1, we will need people to donate household essentials in phase 2.  Please don’t think this journey is over just because we finished taking people’s possessions to the curb.  Phase 2 is about rebuilding and we will need help to get there.   Phase 2 is like the redemption of Phase 1.   What we tore out in Phase 1, we get to return in Phase 2.








Phase 3- Celebration and The Good Stuff

I told someone the other day that Phase 1 is traumatic for everyone involved, Phase 2 is necessary (like the fork you get as a wedding gift), and Phase 3 is celebratory like the gift that you keep forever and pass down to your children.  Phase 3 is the other side of the mountain where you celebrate where you have come and add the finishing touches.

Let me depart from my overused illustration for a minute and give you some examples of just some of the ideas that I have for Phase 3.   What if you and a couple of friends could decorate the bedroom of a kid who was flooded?  What if we could put basketball goals in the driveways of kids who could not afford them before the storm?  What if we could deliver large potted plants for people’s front porches or wreaths for their front doors?  What if we could make wood signs for their living rooms that say “Home” or something even more meaningful?  Y’all I could come up with 20 more ideas of ways that we can help families not just live in but love their homes again. 

So that is where we have been, where we are as we catch our breath, and we are gearing up to go.  We still need your help.  God is doing incredible things through this mission field and I pray that you will get as excited as I am about joining us on it.



No comments:

Featured Post

When All You Have is a Slingshot and a Pocket Full of Rocks

  I was driving to work last week while talking to a good friend about some tough news we had received.   I told her that I felt like I was ...

Popular Posts