If you have visited here before, you can probably see that I have changed the name of the blog again. I started blogging at 4URuthie to tell the story of our journey to adopt our 1st daughter. I changed it to Mountains for Maggie when we were praying for God to move mountains on behalf of our 2nd daughter. Well now it is no longer just Ruthie’s or Maggie’s stories. It is now our family's story, and the stories of those we share life with, as we Conquer Mountains together. Both ConqueringMountains.net and 4URuthie.blogspot will lead here.

About Me

My photo
I am a pastor's wife, mother of 4 kids (2 adopted and 3 with special needs), physical therapist, and photography junky. This is where it all comes together for me. Feel free to join along as I process life out loud.

Wednesday, September 27, 2017

THAT WHICH CONNECTS US

I see a lot in the media today about that which divides us.  I don’t have to mention the topics here because, if you are like me, just the sight of some of them will make you click the X in the top corner of your screen.  Am I right?  Good news - this is not about that.

I am NOT interested in what divides us because I am so amazed by all of the signs around me of that which links us.   A statement hit me yesterday and I want to share it and unpack it here. It will change the way that I forever look at my days.

There are few events in life that exist for just that moment, few connections that occur for just that relationship, and no situation where God can’t bring them all together to advance His purposes.

Here are a just few of the post-Harvey stories that have stopped me in my tracks and illustrate this.


CHINA MEETS WEDGEWOOD ELEMENTARY

In July of 2013 I traveled to China with a group of strangers to love some kids in an orphanage in Baoji.  A woman named Toni Benton, who I had never met, led that trip.  We spent 10 days together in China and then stayed in touch casually through Facebook.  When Harvey hit, she sent me a message saying that her brother and nephew wanted to come serve and could she send them my way.   I said absolutely and to have them contact me.  I hit return and did not think about it again until 3 days later when I received a phone call from a man telling me that he was ½ way to Houston from Virginia and that he was hauling a cooker, tents, and enough food to feed 4000 people.  Oh, and that his Aunt Toni had sent him.   After I regrouped and caught my breath, I connected them to Wedgewood Elementary, which is in our church’s neighborhood and sits in the middle of one of the hardest hit areas.  The men set up in the parking lot of the school and fed families who had no means of transportation but were able to walk to the school and get a meal. 

What blows me away is that I went to China with Toni thinking our time together was all about China.  After all, that would have been enough because we did some good work there.  BUT GOD had more in mind.  He knew that 4 years later a massive flood would hit my area and that He was laying the groundwork for meeting the needs of His people before the waters in the Gulf even began to churn.





MY WHITE CHRISTMAS MEETS MY STORM

In December of 2010 my family won a contest with the Weather Channel to bring snow to our home for Christmas.  Those who are like, “Say what?!?!” can read about it HERE.  That is another amazing story for another day.  Anyway, I have kept casually in touch with one of the producers who we just fell in love with as a family.  When Harvey hit, she checked on us multiple times and then just recently passed our name on to another producer who is in the area looking at follow up stories.  I have been able to share with him some of our greatest needs in this area and he is hoping to spotlight some of those in upcoming segments.

So here is where I have to sit down again.  GOD KNEW when we won that White Christmas event that He was laying the foundation for a relationship that would serve people years later.  I thought my Guaranteed White Christmas was just about God blessing my family after a hard season but it was so much more than that.  God was laying the groundwork for helping our community in its hour of greatest need.






PHOTOGRAPHY MEETS DISASTER RELIEF

So this one is more of a compilation of stories.   Most of my photography business comes from friends, neighbors, and church members.  Then there are the ones that I wonder how on earth they found me and it is always a crazy chain of events and connections.  When Harvey hit, I was able to see on Facebook that several of my photography clients were flooded and many were the families that were mysteriously connected to my business.  Our church was able to step in and serve those families by cleaning out their homes and providing furniture.  

I can see now that God was strategically placing them in my path, through photography, so they could be served even greater during their time of need.   To go along with that, I am feeling like my time as a professional photographer is coming to close.  It makes me wonder if this is the wrap up of the purpose of that business.



Y’all I have at least 10 more stories like this.  I shared these because I think the lessons that God is teaching me are good for all of us.  Here are a few takeaways:

  • We can find peace and hope in knowing that God is strategically working to redeem our  greatest trials before they even occur.
  • It is important to stay in contact with people who pass through our lives because you never know when God may bring you back together to achieve His purposes.
  • God is moving around you.  Open your eyes and see it.  Don’t get so busy in your tasks that you miss the opportunity to see God working in your life.  It might just take your breath away.
  • We have the ability to be more connected than divided if we keep our eyes fixed on Christ and His purposes.  I don’t know if the people we have served or served with are Republicans or Democrats.  I don’t know if they kneel or stand for the national anthem.  I don’t know if they own guns or support Obamacare.  I just know that God is moving in them or through them and that is something that I want to be a part of with them.



No comments:

Featured Post

When All You Have is a Slingshot and a Pocket Full of Rocks

  I was driving to work last week while talking to a good friend about some tough news we had received.   I told her that I felt like I was ...

Popular Posts