If you have visited here before, you can probably see that I have changed the name of the blog again. I started blogging at 4URuthie to tell the story of our journey to adopt our 1st daughter. I changed it to Mountains for Maggie when we were praying for God to move mountains on behalf of our 2nd daughter. Well now it is no longer just Ruthie’s or Maggie’s stories. It is now our family's story, and the stories of those we share life with, as we Conquer Mountains together. Both ConqueringMountains.net and 4URuthie.blogspot will lead here.

About Me

My photo
I am a pastor's wife, mother of 4 kids (2 adopted and 3 with special needs), physical therapist, and photography junky. This is where it all comes together for me. Feel free to join along as I process life out loud.

Tuesday, September 5, 2017

Manna Moments Post #1

We are 9 days post Hurricane Harvey hitting Houston.  Most of us have experienced moments of shock, moments of great motivation to participate in recovery, and other moments of profound sadness.   What has helped me move forward, when my heart wants to get caught up in the devastation, is to reflect on the moments that I have seen God move before and after this storm.   My husband calls them manna.  We might just label them “manna moments” here.

I would love to record some of those stories so you can find your own encouragement in how God demonstrates His love for us. 
Here are the first ones:

Manna Moment- Preparing us for Harvey

Did you know that Trent took his first ever sabbatical this summer? It lasted 4 weeks and ended the week before Harvey hit.  I believe God knew that we would need to be well rested going into this recovery phase.   Some might call that coincidence but then what about the fact that our youth minister, who was filling in for Trent, taught those 4 weeks on loving your neighbor.  Was that preparation of our church for response also a coincidence?  Nope.

Here is another way God prepared us and it requires a little backstory.  When Maggie had her strokes 3 years ago, I wrote a book and titled it, Conquering Mountains.  At the time I felt like it was just a place for me to process all that God taught me.  So instead of self-publishing it, I just stored it away on my computer.  I honestly did not think about it again until about a month ago when I felt like God was telling me that it was time to pull it back out and reconsider publishing.   I re-read the entire book and recounted God faithfulness as I made a few changes.  I wrote the last sentence as Harvey was preparing to make landfall on Saturday, August 26th.   On Sunday, August 27th we woke up to find our entire city flooded.  On Monday, August 28th , as the water was still rising around us, a reminder popped up on my newsfeed.  It was the 3 year anniversary of the day we brought Maggie home from the hospital.  God was reminding me of his faithfulness with Maggie’s mountain so he could lovingly prepare me for Mt. Harvey. 


I believe that the God who so lovingly prepared us for this storm is still present to lovingly guide us through the recovery.  I can’t wait to see how He moves and I look forward to sharing those stories with you here.

No comments:

Featured Post

When All You Have is a Slingshot and a Pocket Full of Rocks

  I was driving to work last week while talking to a good friend about some tough news we had received.   I told her that I felt like I was ...

Popular Posts