If you have visited here before, you can probably see that I have changed the name of the blog again. I started blogging at 4URuthie to tell the story of our journey to adopt our 1st daughter. I changed it to Mountains for Maggie when we were praying for God to move mountains on behalf of our 2nd daughter. Well now it is no longer just Ruthie’s or Maggie’s stories. It is now our family's story, and the stories of those we share life with, as we Conquer Mountains together. Both ConqueringMountains.net and 4URuthie.blogspot will lead here.

About Me

My photo
I am a pastor's wife, mother of 4 kids (2 adopted and 3 with special needs), physical therapist, and photography junky. This is where it all comes together for me. Feel free to join along as I process life out loud.

Sunday, January 10, 2010

Otherness

I had one of those bring it all together moments in church yesterday that I would love to share with you.

BACKGROUND: A couple things happened last week
1. I became increasingly aware of the culture around me that says you have to start training your child very early to excel at something. I know way to many elementary kids who spend hours each week and year round to try and be the best at their already chosen sport. I have had 2 different parents in the last few weeks tell me that there child is "training" to be in the Olympics some day. It is just the culture around here. To prove my point, they started a soccer league here for 18 month- 2 year olds. We all desire for our child to excel at something and stand out from the crowd- Otherness.

2. We received a letter this week that Jack did not test into the gifted and talented program at his school. I have to say that this surprised me. Jack is a very smart kid and I really thought this would be his thing, but I guess when you go to a school made up of NASA kids, it is really hard to test into the top 3% (I was told there are kindergartners doing 3 digit multiplication- what is that about??). Back to my point- I was sad for Jack because that means he will not get to be involved in the programs that I thought might provide him a little extra shelter from this cruel world. It also left me asking, "If he is not GT, then who is this kid and what will be his thing- his otherness?"

BIBLICAL OTHERNESS REALIZED: Here is where God brought it all together for me. I love when He leads me up to something (and I don't even know it) and then drives home the lesson.
Trent preached yesterday on Holiness and it's 4 aspects- beauty, purity, awe, and otherness.
Stay with me...
Otherness is that thing that sets Christ apart from humanity. He died so that we could be Holy (and experience otherness or be set apart)
Eph 1:4 "For he chose us in him before the creation of the world to be holy and blameless in his sight."

Those who live by the world's standards define themselves or find their significance in their achievements and raise their children to do the same. If we are going to live by Christ's definition of otherness, we will raise our children to not be defined by what they do, but by who they know- CHRIST. This will truly set them apart.

Trust me when I say that I struggle with this everyday and that I am not trying to say that having your kids in extra curricular activities is bad. There is a lot of good that comes out of training your kids to take care of their bodies, learn self-discipline, set goals and achieve them, play on a team, and just stay out of trouble. Is it bad to be at the top? No. Here is the statement that I will have to keep telling myself as we find Jack, Sam, Ruthie's "thing."

When Jesus died for __________ to experience "otherness" it was not for him to be smarter or faster but Holier and that should be my #1 priority too.


And for us adults who should have this all figured out, right? I think Colt McCoy put it best in his I Am Second video. Our significance is not found in our accomplishments but in the person of Jesus Christ.

2 comments:

Kim S said...

Oh girl, you hit my hot button. (One of them - ha!) People who run their kids ragged to be the best at something drive me crazy. I think what kids today are missing most is just the chance to be a kid. I am all for helping your child find his or her niche in life, but I've known too many parents who did it to the extreme... and the child suffers (or the siblings). You are so right that what should set our children apart is becoming like Christ, holy. So easy to get distracted from that. Thanks for having an open heart to God's voice, and for sharing that with us.

TanyaLea said...

Wow, thank you Ginny! That Colt McKoy video was AWESOME! I can't wait to show it to my kids later. Praise God for young leader like him who aren't afraid to speak up and take a stand for Christ!

I really needed this post, as I sometimes struggle in these areas as a parent, too. Moreso mentally. Thank you for sharing this... it's something we ALL need to read!

Blessings,
Tanya

Featured Post

When All You Have is a Slingshot and a Pocket Full of Rocks

  I was driving to work last week while talking to a good friend about some tough news we had received.   I told her that I felt like I was ...

Popular Posts