If you have visited here before, you can probably see that I have changed the name of the blog again. I started blogging at 4URuthie to tell the story of our journey to adopt our 1st daughter. I changed it to Mountains for Maggie when we were praying for God to move mountains on behalf of our 2nd daughter. Well now it is no longer just Ruthie’s or Maggie’s stories. It is now our family's story, and the stories of those we share life with, as we Conquer Mountains together. Both ConqueringMountains.net and 4URuthie.blogspot will lead here.

About Me

My photo
I am a pastor's wife, mother of 4 kids (2 adopted and 3 with special needs), physical therapist, and photography junky. This is where it all comes together for me. Feel free to join along as I process life out loud.

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

The Miracle of Giving

So first let me throw out the disclaimer that this is not me tooting my horn.  We are all givers to some extent and most of you are probably bigger givers than I am.  I just had a cool 2 days of giving illustrations that I wanted to share with you and share what they remind me about God and our role in giving.

Scenario 1- The precious 18 year old daughter of a dear friend of mine is going to Uganda this summer.  She sent us a letter asking if we may support her in some way.  Our family recently started a giving account that we consider our children the board members of.  So we sat down for a "board meeting" to see how everyone felt we should respond based on our resources and how we felt God was leading us.  I had a number in my head and as we opened in prayer, I asked that God would confirm my feeling if it was right.  As soon as we said Amen, Sam yelled out the same number I had in my head but had not voiced out loud.  Such a cool moment of seeing God work and affirm his participation.

Scenario 2- A friend of mine works in Honduras and is raising money to send hearing impaired children to school there.  I felt like I was supposed to respond and again I had a number come to mind.  I sent that via Paypal and then sent my friend a message to be watching for it but I did not tell her the number.  She messaged me back that they are waiting on a certain number for this one child to be able to go.  That number was the exact number I sent the night before. God is good!

2 thoughts on giving:

1. When we give we are not tipping our hats to God or just helping out a friend.  Instead, we are joining in for a very specific role to participate in what God is already doing.

2. God uses our giving to remind us of His daily presence in the details of our lives and the lives of others around the world.

2 comments:

BrOwN CiRcUs said...

Ahhh, it's so true. Love both these examples. Thanks for sharing!

Brooke said...

Ginny, I am ALWAYS inspired by what you have to say. One of the things I have been trying to focus on more this year is to give. It is SO easy for us to focus on saving and fundraising for our own adoption, but I think it is so important to GIVE to others as well. I feel like it shows our faith in God and the fact that we appreciate and want to help others around us as well. All in all, I always feel WAY more blessed to give than I'm sure the recipient feels. Funny how God works in such cool ways!! xoxo! Brooke

Featured Post

When All You Have is a Slingshot and a Pocket Full of Rocks

  I was driving to work last week while talking to a good friend about some tough news we had received.   I told her that I felt like I was ...

Popular Posts