If you have visited here before, you can probably see that I have changed the name of the blog again. I started blogging at 4URuthie to tell the story of our journey to adopt our 1st daughter. I changed it to Mountains for Maggie when we were praying for God to move mountains on behalf of our 2nd daughter. Well now it is no longer just Ruthie’s or Maggie’s stories. It is now our family's story, and the stories of those we share life with, as we Conquer Mountains together. Both ConqueringMountains.net and 4URuthie.blogspot will lead here.

About Me

My photo
I am a pastor's wife, mother of 4 kids (2 adopted and 3 with special needs), physical therapist, and photography junky. This is where it all comes together for me. Feel free to join along as I process life out loud.

Friday, February 10, 2012

So There is This House...

...And I REALLY like it.

It just fits my family so well.  We have gone to see it several times and decided that it is such good fit that we put ours on the market today to see if we can sell it quick enough to get this other one.  Yesterday when Trent and I were leaving the dream home home we want, we prayed a very specific prayer that our home would sell this week so we could make an offer on this other one and either rent back from our buyers while Jack recovered from surgery in late March or close quick enough to move in the week before his surgery so he could recover in his new room.

Yes I know this is big and I have real faith that God can do this.  Why? Because I have seen Him do it before.  This is the 3rd house that we have sold and each time God has answered very specific timing needs.

It occurred to me later that I have more faith for God to sell our house quickly in a down market than I do for Him to heal my son.  Why is that?  I think the first is obvious and it is because I have seen Him do it.  The 2nd though is more interesting.  I was talking to my friend Julie about this and she made the point that our self-sufficiency in modern day America makes us depend less on God for miracles of healing and so we see it less.  If you go to other countries where they don't have our health care, you see God heal all the time.

Don't get me wrong, I am grateful for our health care, but it makes me sad that my self-sufficiency has put me in a category like Jesus' parable where he said (Matt 19:24) "It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God."  I don't think Jesus is saying here that if you have money you won't go to heaven.  I think what He is illustrating for us is that our wealth and ability to meet our own needs make us less dependent on God and thus less likely to seek Him. If we don't seek Him, we can't know Him.

I wonder what other areas my comfort and self-sufficiency have kept me from experiencing the goodness and greatness of God? Food for thought.

No comments:

Featured Post

When All You Have is a Slingshot and a Pocket Full of Rocks

  I was driving to work last week while talking to a good friend about some tough news we had received.   I told her that I felt like I was ...

Popular Posts