If you have visited here before, you can probably see that I have changed the name of the blog again. I started blogging at 4URuthie to tell the story of our journey to adopt our 1st daughter. I changed it to Mountains for Maggie when we were praying for God to move mountains on behalf of our 2nd daughter. Well now it is no longer just Ruthie’s or Maggie’s stories. It is now our family's story, and the stories of those we share life with, as we Conquer Mountains together. Both ConqueringMountains.net and 4URuthie.blogspot will lead here.

About Me

My photo
I am a pastor's wife, mother of 4 kids (2 adopted and 3 with special needs), physical therapist, and photography junky. This is where it all comes together for me. Feel free to join along as I process life out loud.

Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Guided to the End

Today is Maggie's last day of therapy and our last night in the hospital.  I have known this day was coming for weeks but it is still a bit surreal.   We have spent this week slowly bringing things home and saying goodbye to all of the friends we have made at TCH.  Several people have stopped by her room just for social visits.  I love the relationships we have formed with her care team.  They really do love her.   Several have mentioned how amazed they are by how good she looks and how her improvement encourages them.

I had a cool moment yesterday with one of the nursing assistants.  She came in to change Maggie's bedding and was humming a song that I recognized.  I smiled and started to sing along.  She got all excited and started singing too.  Here are the words to the song:

Wonderful, Merciful Savior

Wonderful, merciful Savior
Precious Redeemer and friend
Who would have thought that a lamb could
Rescue the souls of men
Oh, You rescue the souls of men

Counselor, Comforter, Keeper
Spirit we long to embrace
You offer hope when our hearts have
Hopelessly lost the way
Oh, we hopelessly lost the way


[Chorus]
You are the one that we praise
You are the one we adore
You give the healing and grace
Our hearts always hunger for
Oh, our hearts always hunger for

Almighty, infinite Father
Faithfully loving Your own
Here in our weakness You find us
Falling before Your throne
Oh, we're falling before Your throne

The verses hit me and I started to cry.  I knew God had ordained that moment here in the wrap up to remind me that he had been there right beside us the entire time.   A friend texted me as I was listening to the song over and over and asked how I was feeling.  I responded, "held".   What?  Did I really just say that?  Yes, I finally felt what it meant to be held.  It was not a momentary feeling of comfort but an overarching reflection on God's continued presence and sovereignty.  I didn't even think about it before I typed that word which is probably why it got out before my filter of self-reliance caught it.

My friend Rebecca and I have had multiple conversations over the past few months about what it means to be held.  I have told her how I didn't feel held but instead I felt like God was sending me out to do what I needed to do.  Rebecca who normally affirms all of my spiritual insights refused to accept this one and would regularly throw verses back at me about God carrying us and holding us in the palm of His hand, but I just didn't feel it.  I didn't at any point feel abandoned but I certainly didn't feel snuggled either.

Yesterday it came together for me, I think.  I believe the language we use in the church of training people up and sending them out is short sighted.  It implies a sense of self-sufficiency.  The message is, you have the tools you need so go put them to good use and climb that mountain for God.  But that is not the picture for me (after this experience anyway) because it leaves out the guide.  We aren't sent out.  No, we are guided.  The guide makes the map, packs our supplies, pitches our tents for a place to rest our heads, nurses our injuries, cheers for us when we struggle, debriefs with us along the way, and leads us over the mountain while taking every step beside us.  And yes, Rebecca, sometimes even carrying us. :)

So it appears we will wrap up this guided adventure in about 24 hours.  Thank you for all of your prayers, words of encouragement, and tangible support.   Please continue to pray for our adjustment when we get home.  Maggie is not mobile yet and has not had anyone further than arms length away from her in 2 months.  I believe we may be in for a bit of an adjustment.




2 comments:

likeschocolate said...

OK! You have me crying a ugly cry! So beautiful! I am so happy miss is doing better and that you are finally going home!

Joy said...

Just Be Held by Casting Crowns Thrive album

Featured Post

When All You Have is a Slingshot and a Pocket Full of Rocks

  I was driving to work last week while talking to a good friend about some tough news we had received.   I told her that I felt like I was ...

Popular Posts