If you have visited here before, you can probably see that I have changed the name of the blog again. I started blogging at 4URuthie to tell the story of our journey to adopt our 1st daughter. I changed it to Mountains for Maggie when we were praying for God to move mountains on behalf of our 2nd daughter. Well now it is no longer just Ruthie’s or Maggie’s stories. It is now our family's story, and the stories of those we share life with, as we Conquer Mountains together. Both ConqueringMountains.net and 4URuthie.blogspot will lead here.

About Me

My photo
I am a pastor's wife, mother of 4 kids (2 adopted and 3 with special needs), physical therapist, and photography junky. This is where it all comes together for me. Feel free to join along as I process life out loud.

Friday, March 27, 2009

The Emotional Stages of Adoption

I wonder if anyone has ever documented the emotional stages of waiting for adoption. I know there are stages for grief or having a new baby, and now I am pretty sure there are stages for adoption waits. Similar to grief (except that this is positive in the end and I don't want to misrepresent it) my emotions seem to be all of the place.

There are some days that I feel completely overwhelmed by the current wait or what could be if the wait is much longer than what we expect. Other days I feel resolved to do everything I can for her before she get here to make sure it is all ready for her arrival. Every now and then I want to pretend that the adoption isn't real so I don't have to deal with the fact that we are still waiting. Today, I feel this overwhelming need to cling to our family unit the way it is now knowing that it is about to change dramatically. I think this is a normal emotion whenever you bring a new person into your family, but nonetheless it is new to me this week and so my next resolve will be to make the most of the time we have left as just the 4 of us. I am hoping this stage brings my heart one step closer to being prepared for Ruthie's arrival.

Our adoption coordinator sent this to us this week and it has been a real encourager.
“I am still confident of this:
I will see the goodness of the LORD
in the land of the living. Wait for the LORD;
be strong and take heart
and wait for the LORD.”
Psalm 27:13-14

No comments:

Featured Post

When All You Have is a Slingshot and a Pocket Full of Rocks

  I was driving to work last week while talking to a good friend about some tough news we had received.   I told her that I felt like I was ...

Popular Posts