If you have visited here before, you can probably see that I have changed the name of the blog again. I started blogging at 4URuthie to tell the story of our journey to adopt our 1st daughter. I changed it to Mountains for Maggie when we were praying for God to move mountains on behalf of our 2nd daughter. Well now it is no longer just Ruthie’s or Maggie’s stories. It is now our family's story, and the stories of those we share life with, as we Conquer Mountains together. Both ConqueringMountains.net and 4URuthie.blogspot will lead here.

About Me

My photo
I am a pastor's wife, mother of 4 kids (2 adopted and 3 with special needs), physical therapist, and photography junky. This is where it all comes together for me. Feel free to join along as I process life out loud.

Friday, February 5, 2010

The GIft of Prayer

I got an email from a friend today reminding me that she is praying for Jack and that on Thursday she gathered with some friends to pray for his healing. I was overwhelmed by her demonstration of selflessness and faith on behalf of my child. Her use of her spiritual gift of prayer and intercession reminded me that when God speaks in the Bible about the church, He is not just talking about the people that inhabit a building or are members of your denomination, but about the entire body of believers.

You know what else is amazing about this situation. I have never actually seen this person who is praying for my child, nor have I met her friends who gave of their time to lift him up. She is one of the incredible women that God connected me with through this adoption process and He continues to teach me about His faithfulness through her even after both of our adoptions have been completed.

If you are not familiar with spiritual gifts, you should read 1 Cor 12-13. In those chapters, God teaches us that when we choose to follow Christ we receive the Holy Spirit. When we receive the Holy Spirit, we also receive certain spiritual gifts that are given to us for the purpose of edifying the church. Trent's spiritual gifts are obviously teaching and preaching. Mine is much more administrative. My friend Bec has the gift of encouragement. My friend Kimberly has the gift of teaching. Our giftings are usually identified not just by what you are good at but also by what gives you energy. This sweet friend who emailed me gets energy from praying for others and I am blessed because of it.

There are a lot of spiritual gift inventories online if you want to take one. I don't know which is best but if someone would like to recommend one in the comment section, please do.

Today's Sidenote:
We went to eat dinner a few nights ago at the Rainforest Cafe in Galveston with some Waco friends who were coming through town. Here are a few pictures from that evening.



2 comments:

Barb Hardeman said...

I think of you often, and the adjustments your Ruthie had to make when she met you and came home to a new country, different faces, and very different routines. As we say goodbye to the three wee ones God asked us to care for (tomorrow) I wonder how will the twins adjust to their new life (daycare) and parents who are strangers to them, and I believe what God did for Ruthie, He will also do the these three precious kids whom we have invested the past 15 months into. Ruthie has given me hope!

Shannon said...

Love, Love, Love, Love you my friend!!!!!!

Featured Post

When All You Have is a Slingshot and a Pocket Full of Rocks

  I was driving to work last week while talking to a good friend about some tough news we had received.   I told her that I felt like I was ...

Popular Posts