If you have visited here before, you can probably see that I have changed the name of the blog again. I started blogging at 4URuthie to tell the story of our journey to adopt our 1st daughter. I changed it to Mountains for Maggie when we were praying for God to move mountains on behalf of our 2nd daughter. Well now it is no longer just Ruthie’s or Maggie’s stories. It is now our family's story, and the stories of those we share life with, as we Conquer Mountains together. Both ConqueringMountains.net and 4URuthie.blogspot will lead here.

About Me

My photo
I am a pastor's wife, mother of 4 kids (2 adopted and 3 with special needs), physical therapist, and photography junky. This is where it all comes together for me. Feel free to join along as I process life out loud.

Sunday, July 25, 2010

Obsession

I was sitting in church this morning and worshiping when I realized (after a song or 2) that while I was singing the words, my mind was somewhere else completely. I was editing pictures in my head while mouthing words to Jesus. Shortly after that revelation, this thought came to mind:

If Jesus is my obsession then everything else will fall under His authority and be used for His glory.

So what does that look like? I am glad you asked!
1. We have to get rid of the things in our life that don't glorify God
2. We have to align our priorities and our passions with His purposes

#1 is pretty self explanatory, but I think #2 could use some explaining. I will divide it up into the 3 main areas of our practical lives.

WORK - When trying to align my work with God's purposes, I pray "Lord use me today to advance Your kingdom. Don't let this be just another 5 hours at work, but open my eyes to see where You are moving so I can join You there." On the days that I remember to pray that prayer, God is always faithful to give me a divine opportunity to either encourage someone in their struggle or to speak the truth. The book Courage and Calling talks about the misconception that the only people with a "Call" on their lives are those in ministry. That is simply not true. As believers in Christ we are all "called" to ministry wherever we are. See Colossians 3.23 - "Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as for the Lord and not for men."

FAMILY- This one can be hard as we find ourselves running from thing to thing. The secret is, we have to be intentional about it. That intentionality takes the form of praying as a family, memorizing scripture together, going to church together, serving together, and studying the Bible together. There are a lot of other things you can do, but those are the basics.

HOBBIES- I have been thinking about this a lot lately when evaluating my love of photography. I think you have to pray, "Lord, how can I use my love for _____________ (football, photography, reading, kids, etc) to honor and glorify You?" God has recently shown me how I can use photography to help others and I can't wait to tell you about it very soon.

"Whether you eat, drink, or whatever you do - do it all for the glory of God" (1 Cor. 10.31).






A few recent picture of my gang:





No comments:

Featured Post

When All You Have is a Slingshot and a Pocket Full of Rocks

  I was driving to work last week while talking to a good friend about some tough news we had received.   I told her that I felt like I was ...

Popular Posts