If you have visited here before, you can probably see that I have changed the name of the blog again. I started blogging at 4URuthie to tell the story of our journey to adopt our 1st daughter. I changed it to Mountains for Maggie when we were praying for God to move mountains on behalf of our 2nd daughter. Well now it is no longer just Ruthie’s or Maggie’s stories. It is now our family's story, and the stories of those we share life with, as we Conquer Mountains together. Both ConqueringMountains.net and 4URuthie.blogspot will lead here.

About Me

My photo
I am a pastor's wife, mother of 4 kids (2 adopted and 3 with special needs), physical therapist, and photography junky. This is where it all comes together for me. Feel free to join along as I process life out loud.

Friday, April 8, 2011

Adoption From the Hubby- Part 4

Concluding this series today, I thought I'd post about why we'd do adoption again, particularly international adoption, if God let us.  Of course, He just might.  But that's really up to Him and a discussion to be had later.

First comes the question about money.  Money wasn't an issue when we adopted our little Peanut.  For our part, I'll say that we had a few people contribute to the cause, but we also worked really hard on saving for it.  It was an expensive process, well over $20,000.  That's a lot of dough.  But God provided.  My lovely wife worked some extra, we cut back some, and it came together.  Amen.  We're also seeing some of that come back now through the adoption tax credit.  Amen to that too.  I know others who have struggled significantly.  I don't want to deny that or denigrate them.  I will tell you that God provides.  Faithful is He who calls you and He will bring it to pass (1 Thessalonians 5.24).  We held tightly to that Truth for so many things through this process.

Second, we'd do it again because through adoption we changed the world.  I don't mean that in some triumphal, conquering, slam-dunk sort of way.  We're way more humbled by the process than I imagined.  But I also know with great confidence that there's a little girl sitting in the next room who's eating breakfast with her brother that this same morning would've woken up next to another kid, been untied from her crib, fed porridge because she couldn't have fed herself, and played the day away with 20 others in a room supervised by 2 nannies.  Just now, she walked in having gone to the potty and letting me know that she pulled her big girl undies up "all by myshelf."  It's not that we changed the entire world.  But we changed it for her and for us and for our sons, our extended family, our church family, our neighbors, and, Lord willing, our grandkids and generations of Hendersons to come.

Third, the need isn't going away.  According to my cool friend,Jon Singletary, there are 120,000 adoptable kids in the U.S.  How about this one:  3,000,000 kids in the world ready to adopt.  The need isn't going away.  We chose China because it seems about 1,000,000 of those are in China. 

Lastly, our family is better because of it.  I know some of you walked through the adoption with us and you saw the sanctifying process that we went through and, hopefully, are seeing its fruit in our lives.  I know I can.  Perspective.  Patience (?).  Trust.  Compassion.  Gospel.  Selflessness (?).  Love.

I don't know if God will let us adopt again.  I don't know if He'll let you adopt.  But it's amazing.

But that's just me thinking thoughts...

No comments:

Featured Post

When All You Have is a Slingshot and a Pocket Full of Rocks

  I was driving to work last week while talking to a good friend about some tough news we had received.   I told her that I felt like I was ...

Popular Posts