If you have visited here before, you can probably see that I have changed the name of the blog again. I started blogging at 4URuthie to tell the story of our journey to adopt our 1st daughter. I changed it to Mountains for Maggie when we were praying for God to move mountains on behalf of our 2nd daughter. Well now it is no longer just Ruthie’s or Maggie’s stories. It is now our family's story, and the stories of those we share life with, as we Conquer Mountains together. Both ConqueringMountains.net and 4URuthie.blogspot will lead here.

About Me

My photo
I am a pastor's wife, mother of 4 kids (2 adopted and 3 with special needs), physical therapist, and photography junky. This is where it all comes together for me. Feel free to join along as I process life out loud.

Thursday, August 16, 2012

Those Who Get It - Part 2

On Tuesday I started a series to discuss the characteristics of those who "get it."  What do I mean by someone who "gets it?"  I am talking about people who don't spend their lives going through the motions that are dictated by their to-do lists or waiting projects.  I'm talking about those people who really "get" the Call of God on their lives.

You can read that first post HERE.


I am going to continue to introduce the characteristics one by one.  So here goes again. Lucky for you today's is pretty quick and to the point. 


Character Traits of Those Who Get It (according to me):


1. They see God in the everyday.  (Again, you can read about that HERE)


2. They make space in their life for good inputs.


What do I mean by good inputs?  I am talking about books, conferences, mentoring relationships, church, etc.  If we are truly in touch with our brokenness, we should embrace the opportunity for growth.  I hear and give all kinds of excuses for not making this a priority.  "I don't have time" is a big one.  I would argue that this is absolutely true for most of us, but that does not make it okay.  Finding the time and being motivated to find the time is what separates those who get it from those who don't.


Another argument I have heard is, "I am okay with the way I am," or, "I have what I need to fix my own problems."  Self-sufficiency makes for a great sound bite and it even makes us feel good about ourselves, but it doesn't make us good.


Those who get it make the time to seek out wisdom from good sources because they recognize it's necessary for spiritual growth.  Proverbs states the sweetness of a friend comes from his earnest counsel (Prov. 27.9) and that it's the iron on iron of relationship that makes everyone sharper (Prov. 27.17).


1 comment:

Jill K. said...

You won't hear me say "I'm okay with the way I am".....but I swear I just got off the phone with my husband and was telling him "I don't have time for _____". But I do treasure the value of my friends and their counsel. I had a wonderful experience at lunch with a friend today and I thought about your message from last week. I really took the time to enjoy our conversation. Thanks for enlightening me!

Featured Post

When All You Have is a Slingshot and a Pocket Full of Rocks

  I was driving to work last week while talking to a good friend about some tough news we had received.   I told her that I felt like I was ...

Popular Posts