If you have visited here before, you can probably see that I have changed the name of the blog again. I started blogging at 4URuthie to tell the story of our journey to adopt our 1st daughter. I changed it to Mountains for Maggie when we were praying for God to move mountains on behalf of our 2nd daughter. Well now it is no longer just Ruthie’s or Maggie’s stories. It is now our family's story, and the stories of those we share life with, as we Conquer Mountains together. Both ConqueringMountains.net and 4URuthie.blogspot will lead here.

About Me

My photo
I am a pastor's wife, mother of 4 kids (2 adopted and 3 with special needs), physical therapist, and photography junky. This is where it all comes together for me. Feel free to join along as I process life out loud.

Saturday, August 18, 2012

Those Who Get It- Part 3

I have been working on a series about those who "get it".  It is something that God has been stirring up inside of me for a year now.  I so desire to live a life that consists of more than going through the motions of the everyday and I think the secret is to learn from those who really "get it."   You can read more about it in my previous 2 posts which I have the links to below.

So now, I shall continue on with #3.

Character Traits of Those Who Get It (according to me)

1. They see God in the everyday.  (More about that HERE)

2. They make space in their life for good inputs. (More about that HERE)

3. They live with a "get to" attitude.

So what do I mean by a "get to" attitude?  Well, they see life through a different lens than most people.  Instead of complaining about doing things like laundry, sitting in the car rider line, or going to work,  they embrace those through the lens of thankfulness.  Doing your husband's laundry means he came home safely from that business trip.  Sitting in the car rider line means you get to see your kids right after school.  Going to work means you are fortunate enough to have a job and a means to provide for your family.  They don't have a list of "have-to's."  They have "get-to's."

I believe these people are able to see the bigger picture and use that perspective to generate thankfulness.  Do you know people like that? I call those people, the ones who get it.

It goes one step further though.  The ones who really get my attention are those who have a "get to" attitude even when enduring suffering.  Now this is when names start coming to mind for me.  This quality is so rare that specific people stand out in my mind as their impression on my life has been that strong.  Have you ever know someone who has lost a job, a house, or even a close family member and when you go to try and conjure up something comforting to say to them, they end up amazing you? Their response sounds something like, "I am okay because I know that God has this under His control and whatever comes my way, He is going to walk through it with me."  Honestly, my first thought is usually to assume they are still in the denial phase of grief.  But they aren't.  They just "get it."

Romans 5:3-4 Not only so but we also glory in our sufferings because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope.

Yep, those who "get it" live a life of "get-to's."

As I try and put this into place in my own life, I am fighting off my desire complain about the fact that it is the last week of summer before my kids go back to school.  Instead I will choose to be thankful for all the things we "got to" do this summer and embrace our "get to" opportunities that await us this year.

These pics are from a day in the life of summer around here.  Sam and Ruthie working on an art project together while Jack types up the slides for our next family worship time.  Love those kids.



1 comment:

No Greater Love said...

Okay....this one got me, too. We just had a sermon about not grumbling and complaining, like the Israelites did....because when we do that, then it just shows we don't understand the big picture...and we don't see God as good....and we have allowed snakes to come in camp and bite us (you know because that was their punishment once for all their complaining). So complaining just fills us with venom. Anyway....my point in writing this, is that then you wrote about not complaining summer is over... ouch...my kiddo go back to school tomorrow, and I just am so sad about that, instead of being thankful that I spent all summer with them. Thanks for the reminder....

Featured Post

When All You Have is a Slingshot and a Pocket Full of Rocks

  I was driving to work last week while talking to a good friend about some tough news we had received.   I told her that I felt like I was ...

Popular Posts