If you have visited here before, you can probably see that I have changed the name of the blog again. I started blogging at 4URuthie to tell the story of our journey to adopt our 1st daughter. I changed it to Mountains for Maggie when we were praying for God to move mountains on behalf of our 2nd daughter. Well now it is no longer just Ruthie’s or Maggie’s stories. It is now our family's story, and the stories of those we share life with, as we Conquer Mountains together. Both ConqueringMountains.net and 4URuthie.blogspot will lead here.

About Me

My photo
I am a pastor's wife, mother of 4 kids (2 adopted and 3 with special needs), physical therapist, and photography junky. This is where it all comes together for me. Feel free to join along as I process life out loud.

Sunday, August 26, 2012

Those Who Get It - Part 5

Good news friends- this is the last post in this series on what separates those who really seem to "get it" from those who just go through the motions of each day.  You can read more of an explanation on this in my other posts Those Who Get It 1-4.


So here are the character traits I have observed in those who "get it":  

1. They see God in the everyday.  (More about that HERE)

2. They make space in their life for good inputs. (More about that HERE)

3. They live with a "get to" attitude. (More about that HERE)


4. They have a Biblical Worldview that transforms their lives. (More about that HERE)

5. Their righteousness exceeds that of the scribes and pharisees.


Matt. 5:20 says, "For I tell you, unless your righteousness exceeds that of the Scribes and Pharisees, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven."

At first glance, that verse is a bit intimidating because we often think of the Scribes and Pharisees as the best keepers of the law or those who must have done all the right things necessary to enter into heaven. But that's just it:  their actions were purely external.  Jesus desires for us to be transformed from the inside-out.  He requires a kind of righteousness that is not demonstrated merely by performance but rather by authentic transformation.  

Those who "get it" don't see God in the everyday so someone will say "good job."  They don't make space for good inputs so they can sound smarter when they speak up in Sunday school.  They don't have a "get to" attitude so others will look at them with approval and envy and they don't act on a Biblical Worldview so people will notice their sacrifice and give them praise.  Instead they do what comes naturally and normally out of a heart and life changed by Christ.  They do what they do because that's who they are.

We have a lot of catch phrases in our house to help remind us of truth and one if them is, "Sometimes you have to fill the role before you can feel the role."  What this looks like for a lot of us is that we may have to choose to walk out the practices of those who "get it" before they become natural and normal for us.  What separates us from the Scribes and Pharisees is our motivation.  If our motivation is Christ and not the approval of others, we are on the right track.  And we take it one day at a time. 

Thanks for following me along in this and for your encouragement.  I am going to keep posting Wondrous Wednesdays as I try and fill the role of seeing God all around me.  Feel free to join along. 

No comments:

Featured Post

When All You Have is a Slingshot and a Pocket Full of Rocks

  I was driving to work last week while talking to a good friend about some tough news we had received.   I told her that I felt like I was ...

Popular Posts