If you have visited here before, you can probably see that I have changed the name of the blog again. I started blogging at 4URuthie to tell the story of our journey to adopt our 1st daughter. I changed it to Mountains for Maggie when we were praying for God to move mountains on behalf of our 2nd daughter. Well now it is no longer just Ruthie’s or Maggie’s stories. It is now our family's story, and the stories of those we share life with, as we Conquer Mountains together. Both ConqueringMountains.net and 4URuthie.blogspot will lead here.

About Me

My photo
I am a pastor's wife, mother of 4 kids (2 adopted and 3 with special needs), physical therapist, and photography junky. This is where it all comes together for me. Feel free to join along as I process life out loud.

Friday, July 26, 2013

Perspective


We arrived safely in Beijing yesterday.  The flight was thankfully pretty uneventful and navigating the airport was much easier than I had remembered from past trips to to China. We had dinner last night in traditional Chinese style where we all sit around a table and sample foods from a plethora of dishes.  Multiple times we played the, "I wonder what that is" game and often looked to our token male in the group to sample and report.  He was a good sport.  I figure with 9 women on the team, we better go ahead and break him in quick.  :)

I woke up at 4:00 this morning (oh the joys of jet lag) and was pondering perspective.  I believe that may be one of the themes for me this week.  My hope is to keep my eyes open to see things as they really are and ponder them through an eternal perspective.  

I will give you some examples from our first day so you can see where I am coming from. 
* Two of the women on this trip have more than 8 children at home (most of which are adopted).  They have chosen to spend their rare stint away from being mom to serve more children.  Perspective. 
* Three of the girls are teenagers who were adopted from China and have returned to give back because of all that was done for them before they had forever families.  Perspective. 
* Our translator is precious.  She loves speaking to Americans and hopes to save enough money so that maybe some day she can visit America herself.  Perspective.    
* Our translator was wearing TOMS when she picked us up from the airport.  When I told her that I liked them, she referenced a Chinese website where she can get affordable knock off items that are similar to those made in America.  Perspective. 

Those could all be stories that come and go in our day here but when considered in light of eternity and the gifts we have been given, they give us perspective.  

We will visit Tiannamen Square, The Forbidden City, and The Great Wall today.  I have been to them before, but my hope is to use my lens and try to capture them from a different perspective.  

No comments:

Featured Post

When All You Have is a Slingshot and a Pocket Full of Rocks

  I was driving to work last week while talking to a good friend about some tough news we had received.   I told her that I felt like I was ...

Popular Posts