If you have visited here before, you can probably see that I have changed the name of the blog again. I started blogging at 4URuthie to tell the story of our journey to adopt our 1st daughter. I changed it to Mountains for Maggie when we were praying for God to move mountains on behalf of our 2nd daughter. Well now it is no longer just Ruthie’s or Maggie’s stories. It is now our family's story, and the stories of those we share life with, as we Conquer Mountains together. Both ConqueringMountains.net and 4URuthie.blogspot will lead here.

About Me

My photo
I am a pastor's wife, mother of 4 kids (2 adopted and 3 with special needs), physical therapist, and photography junky. This is where it all comes together for me. Feel free to join along as I process life out loud.

Sunday, July 7, 2013

Teaching Me. Teaching Us.

DJ (our foster love) has taught me a lot of lessons about life, but one in particular keeps coming back around.  This child is so happy.  He is ecstatic to be in our home and to call us family.  When I look at him, I can't help but see the scars of the wrongs that have been done to him.  I comfort him as he sobs when we care for his wounds, but he is not sobbing because he is angry.  He is sobbing because it hurts at that moment.  As soon as the pain goes away, he is back to laughing, hugging, and running around.  This child has so much he could be angry about and so much he could fixate on in his past that would truly be justified, but he doesn't.  He chooses to set that aside and embrace the blessings of today.

It doesn't stop there.  Not only does he have a past that could consume him but he also has a very uncertain future.  He has no idea where he will be in 6 months or whom he will call mom.  He doesn't know where his meals will come from or if someone will treat him unkindly.  Strangely enough, he doesn't fret on that either.  Again he chooses to embrace the blessings of today.  He lives for the moment.  Loves without holding back.  He finds joy in the here and now.

I could learn a lot from this kid.

No comments:

Featured Post

When All You Have is a Slingshot and a Pocket Full of Rocks

  I was driving to work last week while talking to a good friend about some tough news we had received.   I told her that I felt like I was ...

Popular Posts