If you have visited here before, you can probably see that I have changed the name of the blog again. I started blogging at 4URuthie to tell the story of our journey to adopt our 1st daughter. I changed it to Mountains for Maggie when we were praying for God to move mountains on behalf of our 2nd daughter. Well now it is no longer just Ruthie’s or Maggie’s stories. It is now our family's story, and the stories of those we share life with, as we Conquer Mountains together. Both ConqueringMountains.net and 4URuthie.blogspot will lead here.

About Me

My photo
I am a pastor's wife, mother of 4 kids (2 adopted and 3 with special needs), physical therapist, and photography junky. This is where it all comes together for me. Feel free to join along as I process life out loud.

Saturday, December 7, 2013

A Disaster or A Blessing?

I guess it is all in how you view it.

Okay so "disaster" may be a strong word for a winter storm but it was the only one I could think of at the time.   So let me just go ahead and tell you about how sometimes our plans are turned upside down.

I started out the week with a quick trip to Dallas, a reunion with some friends,  and 6 photo shoots planned back home between Thursday and Sunday.  I took Ruthie to Dallas and it all changed.  


That little winter weather event arrived a few hours earlier than I expected and there was ice falling on my windshield before I could even get to my hotel from Ruthie's appointment. 
 Okay so "don't feel sorry for me #1"- I scored a free night at the Gaylord Texan with my hubs Marriott points.  The plan was to see some friends and go home in the morning, but the weather made that little reunion impossible. 


Then we woke up to THIS! Yes 3-4 inches of ice!  We were clearly not going home that day and my baby girl was more than excited to play it out!


For the record- snow angels don't work on ice.


But writing your name and then adding "mom" to be sweet does work and it buys you a few more minutes in the cold.



Going home on Friday was clearly out and then came Saturday.  I woke up to news about people sliding off of bridges and 100s of 18 wheelers abandoned on the highways around Dallas.  I heard reports of 10-18 hour waits on the roads and advice to pack food and a blanket if you have to get out.
Looks like it is one more night in paradise. :)

Oh and did I mention it will be night #3 free on points?   I guess this husband traveling to Chicago for school stuff is paying me back. :)

So the downside (other than not being around to help my husband and having to cancel 4 of my shoots) is that it aint cheap to eat around this place.  Ruthie and I have been sharing meals, watching a lot of TV, and trying to make this little adventure as cheap as possible.


But today I splurged.  I mean who can pass up a character brunch when you are trapped for another day?  I am so glad that I decided to go for it.


Okay I am not going to suggest that God froze north Texas for me to have some uninterrupted time with my baby girl who is about to be a big sister, but I think He might have worked it into the plan and given us a sweet little blessing in disguise.


No comments:

Featured Post

When All You Have is a Slingshot and a Pocket Full of Rocks

  I was driving to work last week while talking to a good friend about some tough news we had received.   I told her that I felt like I was ...

Popular Posts