If you have visited here before, you can probably see that I have changed the name of the blog again. I started blogging at 4URuthie to tell the story of our journey to adopt our 1st daughter. I changed it to Mountains for Maggie when we were praying for God to move mountains on behalf of our 2nd daughter. Well now it is no longer just Ruthie’s or Maggie’s stories. It is now our family's story, and the stories of those we share life with, as we Conquer Mountains together. Both ConqueringMountains.net and 4URuthie.blogspot will lead here.

About Me

My photo
I am a pastor's wife, mother of 4 kids (2 adopted and 3 with special needs), physical therapist, and photography junky. This is where it all comes together for me. Feel free to join along as I process life out loud.

Thursday, April 16, 2009

You might be an adoptive parent if... Expanding Version

So I have seen on several adoption blogs a list of "You know you are an adoptive parent if...". It is pretty cute and so I thought I would post a few of theirs that have applied to us and then give you a few of my own.

You know you are an adoptive parent if... (This is their's and it is great)
1. The fact that there are 143 million children without a parent to kiss them goodnight makes you loose sleep.
2. The fact that if 7% of Christians adopted, there would be no more orphans in the world is convicting to you
3. You have ever been "pregnant" with you adoptive child longer than it takes an elephant to give birth (2 years).
4. You had no idea how you would afford to adopt but stepped out in faith anyway, knowing where God calls you He will provide.
5. You believe God's heart is for adoption.
6. You realize that welcoming a child into your heart and family is one of the most important legacies you could ever leave on this earth.
7. You know what the word "Dossier" means, and you can actually pronounce it!
8. You have welcomed a social worker into the most private parts of your life.
9. You shudder when people say your child is so lucky that you adopted them, knowing full well you are the blessed one to have him or her in your life.

Here is mine as a continuation...
10. If you now have more friends through Yahoo adoption groups and China Adopt Talk than anyone you know has on Facebook
11. If all of your favorite initials now end in A
12. If you have ever prayed to God in initials
13. If when you pass toddlers in the community, you try and picture them as Asian and wonder when it will be your turn
14. If your biological child has ever asked you what Chinese orphanage they came from
15. If you have ever recorded Ni Hau Kai Lan on Nickelodeon for language lessons
16. If you have ever gone for an AIDS test and hoped they believed you when you said it was for an adoption
17. If the idea of spending your life savings to save someone you have never met excites you
18. If you are nesting but not pregnant
19. If you cried when you saw Stephen Curtis Chapman's video for When Love Takes You In- and then put yourself through that again by watching it over and over

Fellow adoptive and future adoptive parents feel free to add to this through the comment section.  If nothing else, it give us something to smile about in the wait.



9 comments:

Naomi said...

Ha, Ha... I am laughing right now!!! Very good, I especially like you versions, they are the funniest!!

Oh I can relate to every one......

Naomi

Snapper Lane said...

These are great - especially the one about the AIDS test. I remember taking STD tests in SLC medical center and telling the nurses - "I promise that I'm not another promiscuous student - I'm adopting." I'm not sure that they believed me.

We are praying for you guys. Its a tough wait, but certainly helps to build your faith. Blessings.

JbarJ Mom said...

If your four year old routinely sits at her "laptop" typing important documents for foreign governments.

JbarJ Mom said...

My 16 year old daughter adds - "If the thought of parting the Red Sea seems easy after facing US Immigration..."
My husband adds "If NBC no longer means a television station..."
KA

Ginny said...

Kristine- Those are great. Thanks

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
The Vinyards said...

I love those! Especially the last one. I went thru a phase (I think in the very beginning of paperchase) and watched that video over & over. And just bawling more everytime! Good stuff!

Anonymous said...

If other govt entities are scarier than the IRS.

Anonymous said...

You know you're an adoptive parent when you're in the middle of a movie theater watching "Slumdog Millionaire," sobbing while looking on your iphone to see how much it would cost to adopt a child from India! -shannon durand

Featured Post

When All You Have is a Slingshot and a Pocket Full of Rocks

  I was driving to work last week while talking to a good friend about some tough news we had received.   I told her that I felt like I was ...

Popular Posts