If you have visited here before, you can probably see that I have changed the name of the blog again. I started blogging at 4URuthie to tell the story of our journey to adopt our 1st daughter. I changed it to Mountains for Maggie when we were praying for God to move mountains on behalf of our 2nd daughter. Well now it is no longer just Ruthie’s or Maggie’s stories. It is now our family's story, and the stories of those we share life with, as we Conquer Mountains together. Both ConqueringMountains.net and 4URuthie.blogspot will lead here.

About Me

My photo
I am a pastor's wife, mother of 4 kids (2 adopted and 3 with special needs), physical therapist, and photography junky. This is where it all comes together for me. Feel free to join along as I process life out loud.

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Worked Hard For This One- A Photoshop Tutorial too


I took this picture last Saturday from the top of a brick wall in Kemah. When you have a family sitting on a large concrete Texas, you just have to get above them- right? Shortly after taking this picture, I fell off that wall. I was a little sore for a few days and I jacked up my hip, but I really am fine.

You can imagine how interested I was (after all of that) to see how this picture turned out. I was mostly pleased except for the car in the upper right corner. So I dropped the picture in to Photoshop Elements and got to work on covering up that car.

So what did I do? I am glad you asked.









After playing with the color a little in Lightroom, I did this:

1. I cropped the picture as much as I could to get rid of as much of that car as possible

2. I used my quick selection tool to copy the flower bed in the upper left corner and then I pasted it over the car.

3. I didn't want the flower bed to be huge so I had to leave some car uncovered up in the corner. So I used my clone stamp tool to clone the grass and copy it over the car to make the flower bed look deeper

4. Then I used my blur tool around the bottom edge of the flower bed to blend it in so it did not look like a sticker on top of the tiles.

I did essentially the same thing for a friend the other day who wanted me to replace his mother in law's closed eyes in a picture. I think the blur tool and the clone stamp tool are the secret to making this trick look natural. On the eye switch, I had to clone stamp some skin changes.

Let me know if you have any questions





1 comment:

Carolyn said...

it's amazing what you can do with PE. I may have to put it on my Christmas wish list. :)

Featured Post

When All You Have is a Slingshot and a Pocket Full of Rocks

  I was driving to work last week while talking to a good friend about some tough news we had received.   I told her that I felt like I was ...

Popular Posts