If you have visited here before, you can probably see that I have changed the name of the blog again. I started blogging at 4URuthie to tell the story of our journey to adopt our 1st daughter. I changed it to Mountains for Maggie when we were praying for God to move mountains on behalf of our 2nd daughter. Well now it is no longer just Ruthie’s or Maggie’s stories. It is now our family's story, and the stories of those we share life with, as we Conquer Mountains together. Both ConqueringMountains.net and 4URuthie.blogspot will lead here.

About Me

My photo
I am a pastor's wife, mother of 4 kids (2 adopted and 3 with special needs), physical therapist, and photography junky. This is where it all comes together for me. Feel free to join along as I process life out loud.

Friday, May 14, 2010

Oh What it Could Be

Sorry I didn't write anything yesterday. By the time we got back to the base, I was just spent and didn't even want to process. I realized today that I didn't even journal last night which is a first since getting here. We went back to Paris (the tent city) yesterday and truthfully it was a more positive day than the day before but the heat made it more tiring.

I had some great moments of ministry with telling a group of kids about Jesus through the card that the AWANA kids made. I have some good pictures of that moment so I will save that story. I also had a lady come up and ask me for a Creole Bible. I didn't even know that we had any but apparently we had just a few stashed away. Apparently you have to be careful of who you give them too because they are worth a lot on the street and people will just take them and sell them. They say the trick is to write something in it so they cannot sell it. So I found the Bible and when I gave it to her, she opened it and pointed for me to write her name inside. I have never seen anyone so excited to get their own Bible before. It was great!

Today we took the day off (much needed) and went to this old resort to spend some time on the beach. It was the prettiest beach I have ever seen. The resort has a day fee and it was just us and some US army guys (who came in by helicopter) there. It saddened me to think about what Haiti could have been if the government was not so corrupt. Apparently, this hotel could not survive under the current leadership and so it shut down and was later re-opened by some private Haitian businessmen. I am still not sure how they stay in business because it was EMPTY but it was also the only place in the country that I have seen where I would be willing to walk with my shoes off. They even had clean restrooms and that is saying A LOT!

I am still not sure what tomorrow holds. We have several team members who are sick. I noticed one thing tonight that I found interesting. At dinner they announce who is leaving tomorrow and then the teams who are leaving have a moment of celebration. I have never gone out of the country to a place where people were so happy to get to leave. I guess that says a lot about the state of things here.

Pray for good ministry tomorrow whatever form it takes.

No comments:

Featured Post

When All You Have is a Slingshot and a Pocket Full of Rocks

  I was driving to work last week while talking to a good friend about some tough news we had received.   I told her that I felt like I was ...

Popular Posts