If you have visited here before, you can probably see that I have changed the name of the blog again. I started blogging at 4URuthie to tell the story of our journey to adopt our 1st daughter. I changed it to Mountains for Maggie when we were praying for God to move mountains on behalf of our 2nd daughter. Well now it is no longer just Ruthie’s or Maggie’s stories. It is now our family's story, and the stories of those we share life with, as we Conquer Mountains together. Both ConqueringMountains.net and 4URuthie.blogspot will lead here.

About Me

My photo
I am a pastor's wife, mother of 4 kids (2 adopted and 3 with special needs), physical therapist, and photography junky. This is where it all comes together for me. Feel free to join along as I process life out loud.

Thursday, May 20, 2010

Part 2- More Survivor Stories from Haiti

Thanks you guys for praying for my mystery rash. I am starting to think that it is stress related because it gets a little better and then flares up as soon as I start thinking about things. I am smart enough (and stubborn enough) to know that this is part of the readjustment process and I need to just keep plowing through reality as I cling to what I know to be true. I guess this gives me a great visual measurement for how I am doing with that. :)

I have some more survivor stories for you and that special moment that I have hinted to once or twice.

That Special Moment:
There were moments in ministry in Haiti where I felt like I my body couldn't keep up with how quickly God was moving. I have never been so aware of my spiritual environment as I was there. This picture is from one of those moments. The girl on the bottom right is the one with the foot wound that I told you about in an earlier post. This was the 2nd day I was dressing her wound (her foot was in my lap) and I suddenly found myself surrounded by kids. Then I felt the prompting to seize the moment and I reached into my backpack and pulled out a stack of cards that the AWANA kids had made. They all had crosses on the front of them. I handed them out and through a translator just said what I felt like God was telling me to say. I really felt like He wanted them to know that He is a present God who wants to hear from them and be in relationship with them. I saw kids all day carrying their card around like it was a precious gift. Pray that they see it tonight in their tent and remember to tell God all they are feeling and pray that He will meet them there.


Survivor Story #4
This baby really touched my heart because she has the same diagnosis as Ruthie but of her feet instead. I think it really encouraged this mom when I was able to tell her that I had a daughter just like hers. This child would benefit from serial casting of her feet but that is not available for her, so I showed the mom how to tape her feet into the right position so they can grow correctly. It is not as effective as casting but I know a God who can make up the difference. I loved how much this mother loved and cared for this baby. It really touched my heart since she was clearly special needs.


Survivor Story #5
This is another mom who grabbed my heart and got some free stuff off of me. :) She lives in the first tent with the baby below. She always looked so clean and was constantly cleaning that baby. She illustrates well all the people and children in the tent cities who wore clean clothes and put bows in their hair. I know that seems like a trivial thing to notice, but to me it says a lot about their determination to make the most of their situation.



Faces of Haiti








1 comment:

Hunan Mommy said...

I think I need a Kleenex...those photos on the bottom are really awesome. Your work in Haiti is inspiring. Thanks again for sharing your experience. I am certain it is a lot to process.

Featured Post

When All You Have is a Slingshot and a Pocket Full of Rocks

  I was driving to work last week while talking to a good friend about some tough news we had received.   I told her that I felt like I was ...

Popular Posts